Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Homage to Elton

Eatin rotten peaches outside the Holiday inn
Listenin to Levon tell me about his father, Jesus.

It’s just another Border Song sixty years on where a honky cat
Can burn down the mission if she likes

Razor face, Daniel and me
Sang “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” to the madman across the water.

He nodded, waved and said, “goodbye, yellow brick road,” and then, just like strange rain, he was gone.

Hey there tiny dancer, have you heard the “ballad of a well-known gun”?

She said, “Take me to the pilot. The King must die!”

“Where to St. Peter?” I replied.

And she laughed and put her hands around my waist, and then whispered in my ear,
“Amoreena, we’re on the bad side of the moon. Can I put you on?”

And I shivered, “I ain’t Hercules but if you’ve got some elderberry wine Amy, then I will take you to crocodile rock. Just have mercy on the criminal.”

And the mona lisas and mad hatters all nodded their approval.

Her hands found my shoulders and her cheek my own, then she breathed,“Don't let the sun go down on me," while we stood beneath the empty sky.

She led me to Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy harbored near the town of Babel. But before I could board she stopped and pulled me close. “Tell me when the whistle blows, Gulliver,” then kissed me goodbye.

Sailing south with bitter fingers, I could see her beauty come down in time beneath the Indian sunset. “We all fall in love sometimes, Susie.” I yelled like a chorus of talking old soldiers. “This isn’t a funeral for a friend you Jamaica Jerk off! It's Salvation.” Maybe I am better off dead, I thought as the sails fell like curtains around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment